CHC40413 – Youth Work Certificate IV

Skills List:
TAFE NSW Course Number: 25279
National Course Code: CHC40413
Training Package: CHC Community Services

Enrolments for this course are coming soon

We are just finalising the details regarding enrolment under the Smart and Skilled reform and should have this course ready from November 2014.

If you would like to discuss other options that are available please call us on 131 870 otherwise check back with us in November for enrolment into this course.

Online enquiry

Course description

Our Certificate IV in Youth Work course is for people who want to work as youth workers, facilitating programs for young people through a range of community-based programs designed to address the social, behavioural, health, welfare, developmental and protection needs of young people.

You will learn about community development, communication, empowerment of young people, cultural diversity and crisis management.

In this course you will develop the knowledge and skills to develop and facilitate programs for young people through a range of community-based programs. These programs are designed to address the social, behavioural, health, welfare, developmental and protection needs of young people.

This work may be undertaken through employment in community, government and youth sector agencies and workers are largely self-directed with fairly autonomous decision-making capacity under the indirect supervision of a manager.

Students who are required to complete a work placement in child-related work may be required to complete a Working With Children Check. The check is free if you are a student and unpaid.

You can find out more by visiting:
Students on work placement will be required to comply with a TAFE Student Code of Conduct and demonstrate their work place readiness.

If you are seeking to enrol in a First Aid unit of competency you are advised that to complete the unit you must be able to perform basic life support skills, for example perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR). If you have a disability that would prevent you from performing required basic life support skills you are advised that you will not be able to achieve the unit of competency.

We highly recommend you complete a personalised career and study profile to confirm this course is right for you, you will find the Career Voyage link under Need Help Deciding below.

To ensure you leave us with the most up to date qualification...

If during or after your enrolment, the course in which you are enrolled is updated in line with national industry standards, the Institute reserves the right to transition you into an alternate course. If this becomes necessary, the Institute will advise you of the change and the arrangements which will be available for you to complete your alternate course.

What are the entry requirements? (including Recognition of Prior Learning)

There are no entry requirements for this qualification.

Credit (or recognition) for modules/units may be granted based on previous learning, studies, work and/or life experiences. Please discuss this with the teaching section when you enrol.

Will I need to undertake Work Placement?

Students need to find their own work placement in a youth service, complete a range of workplace-based assignments and demonstrate 160 hours in the workplace.

Students under 21 years of age may find it difficult to find work placement and/or employment in the youth services industry and are advised to research the industry requirements before selecting this course.

Under 17 and wanting to leave school?

If you are under 17 and want to leave school, your options have been affected by a recent change in NSW law. From January 2010 you must complete Year 10 and then continue in either full-time education, training, paid employment or a combination of these options until you’re at least 17 years of age. More information about options for school students under 17 is available from the NSW Department of Education and Communities - The new school leaving age.

What kind of work could I do?

Community development worker;
Indigenous youth worker;
Recreational youth activities officer;
Residential care worker;
Support worker residential;
Youth case worker;
Youth worker.

What further study is available once I finish this course?

The qualification contains units of competency which are common to other sectors.

You will gain credit for these units if you choose to enrol in CHC qualifications for other sectors in community services.

Pathway to university or higher education

Thinking of studying next year? Not sure if you should go to TAFE or uni? Let us help you decide. At TAFE NSW - Western Sydney Institute we offer you the flexibility to fast-forward your career with Pathways.

Choosing to study at TAFE before going on to uni can see you graduating and entering a competitive workforce sooner — and not with one, but two, nationally recognised qualifications! For more information visit /courses-and-careers/career-planning/tafe-to-university/

What are the units I am required to complete?

  • CHCCD412B – Work within a community development framework
  • CHCCOM403A – Use targeted communication skills to build relationships
  • CHCCS400C – Work within a relevant legal and ethical framework
  • CHCGROUP403D – Plan and conduct group activities
  • CHCMH411A – Work with people with mental health issues
  • CHCPRT001 – Identify and respond to children and young people at risk
  • CHCYTH001 – Engage respectfully with young people
  • CHCYTH002 – Work effectively with young people in the youth work context
  • CHCYTH003 – Support young people to create opportunities in their lives
  • CHCYTH004 – Respond to critical situations
  • CHCYTH010 – Provide services for young people appropriate to their needs and circumstances
  • HLTHIR403C – Work effectively with culturally diverse clients and co-workers
  • HLTHIR404D – Work effectively with Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people
  • HLTWHS001 – Participate in workplace health and safety
  • CHCCM404A – Undertake case management for clients with complex needs
  • CHCCS422B – Respond holistically to client issues and refer appropriately
  • CHCNET404B – Facilitate links with other services
  • CHCPRT002 – Support the rights and safety of children and young people

To complete this qualification you will need to complete 18 Units of Competency, including 14 Core units and 4 Elective units.

The above list includes units being offered at OTEN and that are required to complete this qualification. Other TAFE NSW colleges may offer different elective options. If licensing in another State other than NSW is required, please check requirements with the relevant State.

If you have the skills, get credit for a unit or this course!

You don't need to study what you already know! The skills, knowledge and experience you have gained from your previous learning, work experience and life in general may be taken into account.

To apply for recognition in one or more units you must clearly show that you have the equivalent and relevant skills, knowledge and experience of the unit or group of units.

For Credit transfer where you have completed previous studies either with TAFE NSW or with another tertiary provider complete the Enrolment Adjustment - Credit – Previous Studies form, and include any required evidence. Submit these documents to your teaching section via OTEN.

For Recognition of Prior Learning, look through the relevant unit of competency forms below. Attach your evidence to a completed yellow Enrolment Adjustment – Credit – Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) form and submit to OTEN for assessment. Keep a copy of all completed forms for your records.

Recognition for Unit of Competency forms

Need more help? Contact the Recognition Help Desk

Do I need additional resources to study this course?

This is an online course and students will need access to a computer and the internet.

An understanding of how to use the internet and update your browser and security settings to give you access to learning materials. For technical help please refer to the OTEN website.

Your learning materials will be provided in:

Online Course Overview, Work Placement Overview, Learning Material, Additional Resources and Assessments. Students can also participant in online community of students and teachers through Facebook, emails and adobe connect sessions.

This qualification is completed by:

Self-paced online study with off-the-job and workplace assignments.

Successful distance education students are self-motivated, organised and disciplined. In order to complete their studies within the given time frame, they must be able to plan and allocate time for their study.

I would like to talk to someone before I enrol

The Community Services Teaching section: (02) 9715 8299 or 1300122205

We are committed to enhancing all students' prospects to reach their potential and achieve a positive future. We recognise that for some students additional support services are fundamental to ensure success. We have the following expert support services available at each College which you may access by calling (02) 9715 8446 or 1300 655 993 to make an appointment: Counselling and Career Development, Disability, Aboriginal, Multicultural, Outreach, Adult Basic Education and Open Learning Centre Support Services.

Need help deciding?

Our free online career and study planning tool can help.

You will receive a personalised career and study profile based on your responses. If you would like to discuss your results in person, please contact our Counselling and Career Development Unit by calling 1300 655 993 or 02 9715 8446. To get started click the link below:

Career Voyage

Important information for 2015

From 2014 there will be a staged implementation of Smart and Skilled, including the introduction of an entitlement to government subsidised training from 1 January 2015. For more information on Smart and Skilled and how it may affect the fees you pay in 2015, please visit

We're Upgrading

Between 21st October and 28th October our Student e-Services and enrolment systems will be unavailable. Read more...